Tuesday, September 01, 2009

YOu can't call it dilligence

If I were a guy who "I write every day, 15 minutes minimum. That's how I make a practice out of it and make it not such a big damn deal. That way, when I've Really Got Something To Say*, it'll come right out, no issues, no snags, har be har bo who ba doo!", then I could say "we've got free time at work, and before I spend the rest of it watching more web videos, I figured I'd do my due dilligence and get my writing for the day done now." But I can't call it due dilligence if it ain't due. And it ain't. Blarp.
--------
Just caught up on my friend Tony's rather successful web series "The Legend of Neil", after a long damn time of being behind, and I really really like it.
--------
Computers are like rails for me, but not rails to anything useful. Rails, instead, immediately away from anything useful. Which is a shame since so many of my useful plans have sitting at a computer as their primary means. Probably, I need to create a lot of active, intense amusements that have nothing to do with screens or electronics or electrics of any kind (i'm pretty much thinking of playing soccer or maybe building lean-tos or something in the woods, here), so that there will be where I have my fun, and the computer won't feel like that. So that when I sit down at a screen, all may parts won't go "Ah! Here be fun and dissolution!".

Because for now, I ain't getting shit done in my copious down time. And by "for now" I mean, like, for the past goddamn 3-8 years. And by "down time" I mean unstructured time.
------



*I went all Nick Hornsby on that one and I knew i was doing it** and decided to do it anyway, telling m'self I'd make it all right with a self-aware asterisk-note. But self-aware goes TOO FAR sometime, doesn't it?

**I don't know that I was doing it. I thought I was. But I don't know for sure that that's Going Nick Hornsby at all. It's who I think of, and since I just read _High Fidelity_ a cuople weeks ago, I may be right. But I'm not sure. You care!

No comments: